Last Updated: June 16, 2023
This privacy notice applies to the processing activities performed by Kraken to the personal data of its clients, prospective clients, and website visitors.
Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us. It is our policy to safeguard the confidentiality of information and respect the privacy of individuals.
Please see below for information about how we manage personal data, and for information about your rights with respect to the processing of your personal data.
The following terms are defined as follows:
2.1 “AML” means anti-money laundering.
2.2 “Digital Asset” means any digital representation of value that may be traded via Kraken’s services, excluding non-fungible tokens.
2.3 “Kraken”, “We”, “Us”, refers collectively to Payward, Inc. and its subsidiaries.
2.4 “Personal data” refers to any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, including names, identification numbers, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to the physical, economic, cultural or social identity of a natural person.
2.5 “VASP Services” means exchange between digital assets and fiat currencies; exchange between one or more forms of digital assets; transfer of digital assets, that is to say, conduct a transaction on behalf of another person that moves a digital asset from one digital asset address or account to another; and act as a custodian wallet provider.
3. Your Data Controller
Our products and services are provided through local operating entities that are part of the Kraken group of companies.
You are contracting with one Kraken group company as specified in Section 18 Full Details of Data Controllers.
4. How do we protect personal data?
5. Information we may collect about you
We obtain information about you in a number of ways through your use of our products and services, including through any of our websites, the account opening process, webinar sign-up forms, event subscribing, news and updates subscribing and from information provided in the course of on-going support service communications. In order to open an account with us, you must first complete and submit a “create account” form to us by completing the required information. By completing this form, you are requested to disclose personal data in order to enable Kraken to assess your application and comply with the relevant laws and regulations.
The information that we collect from you is as follows:
- Full name, residential address and contact details (e.g. email address, telephone number etc.), date of birth, place of birth, gender, citizenship (“Biographical information and contact information”);
- Bank account information, wallet addresses, credit card details, details about your source of funds, assets and liabilities, and information relating to economic and trade sanctions lists (“Financial information”);
- Trading account balances, trading activity, your inquiries and our responses (“Trading information”);
- Information on whether you (or someone close to you) holds a prominent public function (“PEP information”);
- Verification information, which includes information necessary to verify your identity such as a passport, driver’s licence, selfie photos / videos, login credentials or Government-issued identity card (“Verification information”);
- Other personal data or commercial and/or identification information – Information we, in our sole discretion, deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations under various AML obligations, such as under the European Union’s 5th AML Directive and the U.S. Bank Secrecy Act (“Other information”).
Information we collect about you automatically:
- Browser information – Information that is automatically collected via analytics systems providers from your browser, including your IP address and/or domain name and any external page that referred you to us, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, and platform (“Browser information”);
- Log information – Information that is generated by your use of Kraken-branded websites, applications, services, or tools operated by Kraken that is automatically collected and stored in our server logs. This may include, but is not limited to, device-specific information, location information, system activity and any internal and external information related to pages that you visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our Website or App (including date and time, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page (“Log information”).
- The provision of personal data is necessary for entering into the contract governing your use of our products and services. The minimum information required to be provided is biographical information and contact information, verification information, and financial information. Without this information, we cannot commence, or continue to perform our services or provide our products to you.
It is a statutory requirement to provide certain information in order for us to comply with our legal obligations in respect of anti-money laundering and crime and fraud prevention. At a minimum, this includes biographical information and contact information, financial information and verification information. Without this information, we cannot meet our legal obligations under anti-money laundering and crime and fraud prevention laws.
Information we receive about you from other sources.
We also receive information about you from third parties such as your payment providers and through publicly available sources. For example:
- The banks you use to transfer money to us will provide us with your basic personal data, such as your name and address, as well as your financial information such as your bank account details;
- Your business partners may provide us with your name and address, as well as financial information;
- Advertising networks, analytics providers and search information providers may provide us with anonymized or de-identified information about you, such as confirming how you found our website.
- Credit reference agencies may provide us with your personal data during the credit referencing process.